Licenses and Stamps

Submitted by Brett Fitzgerald on Fri, 09/21/2018 - 10:36


Many fishermen ask the question:

Do I need a snook stamp if I...

Fish from shore?
Am under 14 years of age?
Am active military?
And more..

if you don't need a Florida fishing license, you do NOT need a snook stamp to harvest a legal sized snook during the season.


So the next important question is, do you need a Florida fishing license, and if so how do I get one?



Florida Saltwater Fishing Licenses

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s mission is to manage Florida’s fish and wildlife for their well being and the benefit of people. Every Saltwater Fishing license and Snook Stamp sold contributes to this mission.



4 easy ways to get a Fishing License and Snook Stamp in Florida

Online Form

Temporary Issued Instantly, permanent license is mailed by


Or (1-888-347-4356. Temporary Issued Instantly, permanent license is mailed.

Local Shops

Local Bait Shops, Sporting Goods Stores, other retailers.

The Office

You can get th elicense and snook stamp at the County Tax Collectors' Office



You do not need a Saltwater Fishing license if you fit any of the conditions described below. However, purchasing a saltwater fishing license, even if you are exempt, helps support valuable programs such as Fisheries Research and Management, Fisheries and Artificial Reef Enhancement, Law Enforcement, and Education.

Exemptions include:

  • A child under 16 years of age.
  • A resident 65 years of age or older who has in her or his possession proof of age and residency or a no-cost Florida Resident Senior Citizen license. A no-cost license may be obtained from any tax collector's office upon proof of age and residency.
  • Florida resident anglers drawing food stamps, temporary cash assistance or Medicaid who are fishing from shore.
  • Florida resident anglers fishing in their home counties from shore who use cane poles or other gear that does not depend on mechanical retrieval.

More Exemptions: No License Required if you are...

  • A resident who is a member of the United States Armed Forces and not stationed in this state, when home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.
  • A person fishing who has been accepted as a client for developmental disabilities services by the Children and Family Services, provided the department furnishes proof thereof.
  • Fishing from a for-hire vessel (guide, charter, party boat) that has a valid vessel license.
  • Fishing from a vessel, the operator of which has a valid vessel license issued in the name of the operator of the vessel. A person who holds a valid saltwater products license (SPL).
  • A person fishing for recreational purposes from a pier that has been issued a valid pier saltwater fishing license.
  • A resident fishing for a saltwater species in fresh water from land or from a structure fixed to land.
  • A resident fishing for mullet in fresh water who has a valid Florida freshwater fishing license.
  • An employee of the Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission who takes freshwater fish, saltwater fish, or game as part of employment with the commission, or any other person authorized by commission permit to take freshwater fish, saltwater fish, or game for scientific or educational purposes.

var tickerItems = [ "Do I need a snook stamp if I am under 14 years of age?", "Do I need a snook stamp if I Fish from shore?", "Do I need a snook stamp if I Am active military? etc" ]; var tickerIndex = 0; var tickerDuration = 3; var ticker; var setTicker = function() { ticker.text(tickerItems[tickerIndex++]); if (tickerIndex >= tickerItems.length) { tickerIndex = 0; } }; var rotateTicker = function() { ticker.fadeOut('slow', function() { setTicker(); ticker.fadeIn('slow'); }); }; $(document).ready(function() { ticker = $('span#ticker'); setTicker(); if (tickerItems.length > 1) { window.setInterval(rotateTicker, tickerDuration * 1000); } });